Wednesday, April 21, 2010

A second blog

I'm not sure what's gotten into me because I already have a thousand things going on in my life--but I've started a second blog. Don't worry, I'm still going to be keeping up this blog, but I'm starting the second blog to record my thoughts on the New Testament. The posts will be arranged so that anyone can use it for their own devotional readings. My ridiculously ambitious plan is to cover all the New Testament books from Matthew to Revelation. So I've decided to call it "Matthew to Revelation" (matthewtorevelation.blogspot.com).

In January 2009 I started a series on this blog called "Finding Jesus Christ" in which I put down thoughts for seekers on understanding who Jesus Christ is. I've felt a little uncomfortable trying to incorporate those studies onto this blog because I consider "More Musings On" to exist for the very narrow purpose of recording my musings on issues of faith and sexuality. On the other hand, I know that many gay and lesbian people are too estranged from the church to have a chance to explore issues of faith with anyone. So I kind of go back and forth about this series I've created. Maybe a separate Bible study blog altogether is a better solution. It won't be for seekers per se, but I'm planning to make the posts layperson-friendly.

I probably won't be posting every day and I don't know if I'll even make it through Matthew, let alone the entire New Testament. But I've always had a passion for understanding the Bible. I love doing Bible studies with the women at church and reading through the New Testament with my kids at home. I've considered for a long time whether I should write up some devotional materials and have them published. But that would involve a publishing company and all the politics and marketing schemes that come with that. Who needs it? Blogging is more accessible to people, and it's free. Didn't Jesus say, "Freely you have received, freely give"? Besides, in order to get published with a publishing company I'd probably have to adjust my writing style to sound all boring and dignified, instead of just being able to talk out my thoughts about the Scriptures like I do with my kids at the kitchen table.

Anyhow, I hope you'll check it out.